Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 47 of 365 Days of Thanks


I have a weird one today :)

This last week my hubby was telling me about a "burrito" / "taco" his friend at work brought him for breakfast. Instead of being wrapped in a tortilla it was wrapped in flatbread. He loved it! So when I made my grocery list for this month I put flat bread on the list. Today we went shopping and both stores were either sold out of all of their flatbread or they didn't carry any. Now I didn't know what I was going to do, kinda bummed but decided to just use tortillas instead. So tonight while I was thumbing through one of my cookbooks (this one is a Scandinavian cookbook) they had a recipe for Rye Flatbread. Win-win! Flatbread AND made with Rye! He loves Rye!

I decided to make them tonight, added a little spice to the flour and Walla! Homemade flatbread! Healthier than store bought without all the preservatives. Plus now I can make them for him anytime!! So today I am thankful that the stores did not carry any! :) see...weird :) but still thankful! :)


Here's the recipe:


Finnish Griddle-Baked Flat Rye Bread
Makes about 15 flatbreads

Ingredients:
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Red Cloud Peak Seasoning (from Savory Spice shop)
1 cup rye flour
1 cup all-purpose flour

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix the water, salt, spices, and rye flour. Add the all-purpose flour and mix until dough forms. Knead until smooth, about 2 minutes.

Shape dough into a log. Cut into 15 equal parts.

On a lightly floured board, roll each part of dough out to make an 8-inch circle. Cover with plastic film to prevent drying.

Heat a cast-iron griddle (I used a normal pan on medium heat), until a drop of water sizzles on it. Bake the circles, without fat, one at a time, turning often, until the breads are browned in spots. Remove and stack, covered with a towel.

I made mine really thin - more tortilla like - but that's how we prefer them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...