Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 73 of 365 Days of Thanks


What am I thankful for today? One word - Horchata

I have loved this Mexican drink since I was a teenager, but never knew how to make it. Today I came across a recipe in one of my iPad apps from Food Network. I read the ingredients, and realized that I can make this Sugar Free! Now I just need to get some long grain rice and some fresh cinnamon sticks and I am set! Here is the recipe (if you are interested):

Horchata
Recipe courtesy Aaron Sanchez for Food Network Magazine

Prep Time: 15 min
Inactive Prep Time: 3 hr 30 min
Level: Easy
Serves: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients
1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
1 cinnamon stick, preferably Mexican, broken into pieces, plus more for garnish
1/2 cup sugar, or to taste (to make Sugar Free, I will use Splenda)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, preferably Mexican, for garnish 

Directions
Combine the rice and cinnamon stick with 4 cups water in a blender; pulse to coarsely grind. Transfer to a large bowl and add another 4 cups water; soak at room temperature for 3 hours. Puree the rice mixture in a blender in batches until smooth. Strain through cheesecloth or a fine sieve into a pitcher. Mix in the sugar; chill. Stir the horchata well before serving. Pour into ice-filled glasses; garnish with cinnamon sticks and a dusting of ground cinnamon.


Photograph by Kana Okada

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...