Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 40 of 365 Days of Thanks

The incredible edible Egg! Today I am thankful for farm fresh eggs! I know this one may seem silly, but since moving here, I have been trying to move towards less processed foods and more homemade meals with fresh ingredients. Now, granted, I still buy most of my groceries at the market, but in the meantime, I am learning how to grow our own veggies. I have several friends that live outside the city limits that have chickens, turkeys, ducks, and geese that lay eggs. So far this year I have been given turkey and goose eggs to try in my baking. Last year I used quite a few duck eggs in the items that I made. The taste is similar to chicken eggs, 1 egg is usually equivalent to 2 chicken eggs, in size. :) I love that I know where my eggs come from, I know what the chickens are fed, I know that they are not trapped in cages, cause I see them roaming quite freely on the different farms.

I love that they are such a good source of protein and this time of year they are in abundance. So happy baking! :)

* photo from http://www.diaryofalocavore.com/2011/04/local-food-report-easter-egg-hunt.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...