Friday, December 16, 2011

Day 17 of 365 Days of Thanks


Today and everyday I am thankful for my parents. As I looked in the mirror this morning while getting ready, I had my red and black cowboy boots on, my comfy and soft black pants on, a shirt featuring the logo I did for a friends gun shop, and I finished off the outfit with my trusty dark red leather collar with spikes on it. So with that image you are probably asking by now, "what does this have to do with your parents?" Well I'll tell ya.

Growing up, I was always an "outside of the box" thinker. I had my own (creative) way of doing things. It wasn't always the prettiest or the most perfect way of doing things - especially in the eyes of people around me. Since my father was a pastor for a good majority of my growing up years, people had high expectations of me. What I should look like, how I should dress, how I should act, etc. My parents would always respond to inquiries and "concerns" with, "Jennifer is our daughter, her father's chosen profession is being a Pastor. They are not one in the same. We encourage her to be whoever she wants to be, follow her own dreams, be as creative as she wants to be" and so on. Now let me just interject here by saying, my "look" was not provocative, my actions weren't inappropriate, and I was pretty tame compared to "today's" definition on rebellious. I still had manners, I was not promiscuous, I didn't cuss like a sailor, etc. I just looked different then the image that others thought I should be (like when I shaved my head and had a mohawk last year to support my sister-in-law in her cancer journey.)

Some days I really
miss having a
Mohawk. :)
I am not only thankful for my parents but I feel truly blessed to have grown up in such a loving home. My mom is my Best Friend, I can tell her anything. My dad is my big defender - not only in size, but in the love that he shows me. (let me tell you, he is pretty proud of the fact that most guys I dated, we're extremely intimidated by him!) I love that they taught me that being creative is a good thing, and to always "be myself" because as they say "Jennifer, you are a beautiful woman, inside and out, don't worry what others say about you."

So looking in the mirror today, I feel "at home" with myself. I feel comfortable in my skin (well most of the time, I mean come on, I am a woman). I look back on the days of black lipstick and all black attire (ok, some days it comes back out), and I remember going shopping with my mom (and my dad) getting looks from people - because I didn't fit their image of "normal" and not once did my parents skip hanging out with me because they would be embarrassed to be seen with me.

Thanks mom and dad! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...