Thursday, September 2, 2010

Rockin the Whole Wheat with these Awesome Pancakes!

OK, I have to admit, I was a doubter - at first. I would watch this gal in her videos and read her blog and think...who does this sort of thing? Then I got hooked! I found myself going back to her site to find more and more recipes. Now granted, I don't do all of the food storage that she has, I still use real eggs and real milk. But I am really enjoying her section on wheat. I recently watched the video (video below) on how to make pancakes in your blender using Whole Wheat kernels. So since we had just got 100 pounds of straight-from-the-fields Millennium Wheat kernels (which is also known as Hard Red Winter Wheat) for bread baking, I thought - why not try these pancakes. Let's just say...they were the most AWESOME pancakes I have ever had! Sorry Bisquick, you have been replaced! Here is the recipe she has on her site. I did make some changes and will list those below the recipe.
Blender Wheat Pancakes

INGREDIENTS

1 Cup Milk (translation for powdered milk is 3 T. Milk and 1 C. Water)
1 Cup Wheat Kernels, whole & uncooked
2 Eggs (2 T. powdered eggs 1/4 C. Water)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1-1/2 tsp Salt
2 Tbs. Oil
2 Tbs. Honey or Sugar
MY CHANGES
- for the Oil I used 1 Tbs. of whole flax seeds and 1 Tbs. of oil (i added the flax seeds to the whole wheat and blended them together, then added the oil later when I added the rest of the ingredients)
- for the Honey or Sugar - I used Splenda (since I can't have sugar)
- I added 1 tsp. of vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Put milk and wheat kernels in blender. Blend on highest speed for 4 or 5 minutes or until batter is smooth. Add eggs, oil, baking powder, salt and honey or sugar to above batter. Blend on low. Pour out batter into pancakes from the actual blender jar (only one thing to wash!) onto a hot greased or Pam prepared griddle or large frying pan.Cook; flipping pancakes when bubbles pop and create holes.
Holy Moly! These are some good pancakes! I didn't even use a topping (i.e. syrup, fruit, etc), just a little butter!

Here is the video from her site:



If you like this - then check out her website and her new book:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...