Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A slight twist on Chocolate Chip Cookies

Made with a combination of all-purpose flour and fresh ground whole wheat flour.

I got this recipe from my new cookbook – 500 Treasured Country Recipes. I wanted to make some cookies for my hubby’s work. So I saw the “Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies”. The description read “Softer and chewier than most traditional chocolate chip cookies, these get their distinctive texture from using the electric beater…” PERFECT!!!

Last week a friend gave me fresh whole wheat flour that they had just grinded. So I thought, what a great recipe to try it in. I checked the cookbook to see how to substitute the flours. It said that you can substitute a third of the all-purpose flour with the whole wheat flour. COOL!!! So here is what I did…

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon water
2 eggs
18 ounces (3 cups) semisweet chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift the flour before measuring, then resift with soda and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugars, vanilla, and water. Beat with electric mixer about 2 minutes until creamy. Add the eggs and beat until fluffy.
  3. Gradually add the sifted ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes, until very well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
  4. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 10-12 minutes. Do not over bake. Remove from oven when the cookies are lightly browned and slightly crisp on the bottom; they may seem slightly undercooked. Cool 1 minute on the baking sheet, then remove to paper towels to cool completely. See notes for my changes.

NOTES:
There are only a couple of changes to this recipe that I did. I only left them in the oven for 9 minutes. This way they came out the way I wanted them. I used parchment paper on the cookie sheets instead of greasing them (easier to get out off the sheet and cleaner). And the last thing I changed was not leaving them on the cookie sheet for 1 minute after I removed them from the oven. I slid the parchment paper (with the cookies on them) to the cooling rack instead of placing them on paper towels.

Yield: About 4 dozen

This cookie was a big hit at my hubby’s work! No one could tell that I made them with mixed whole wheat flour and unbleached flour. Even my hubby couldn’t tell and he usually catches all of the sneaky (healthy) things I do to our food. So all in all, this recipe is a winner in my book! Hope you like it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...