Saturday, January 23, 2010

Butterscotch Cookies

This afternoon while my hubby went to hang out with the guys, I decided that I really wanted to bake - something. I didn't know what, so I started looking through my cookbooks and magazines. I took out my new (to me) cookbook that I just bought on Amazon. It is called 500 Treasured Country Recipes by Martha Storey & Friends. While flipping through the pages I saw the Butterscotch Cookie recipe. It looked fun and not one that I had tried. So I went down the list and made sure that I had all of the ingredients. I DID!!

Here is the recipe

Cookie:
1/2 cup (1stick) butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream

Frosting:
1 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoon hot water
dash of vanilla extract
dash of salt

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the flour, eggs, and vanilla, mixing thoroughly.
2. Add the salt, baking soda, and sour cream.
3. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. To make the frosting, mix together the confectioners' sugar, butter, and water until smooth. Add vanilla and salt. If the mixture is too runny add more sugar.
5. Frost cookies while they are still warm.

Yield: about 4 dozen

What I liked about this recipe was that it was different. The cookies turned out very moist, but did not have a strong butterscotch flavor. So after the first batch came out of the oven, I added about 3/4 cup of butterscotch chips to the dough. These seemed to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...